Thursday 12 March 2015

Master's Blog 7

In my last blog I forgot to mention that after our Myddelton lunch I attended the City of London Guides annual lecture and evensong in the Temple Church. The speaker was the Master of the Temple The Revd. Robin Griffith-Jones. He was a great speaker and talked about the history of the Temple Church, the Magna Carta and the link to the filming of the DaVinci Code, very entertaining!

On the 12th February I attended the Constructors Livery and Awards Dinner in Drapers Hall. A splendid evening and great to hear of the achievements of the award winners.

Then away for an excellent 2 weeks in Antigua. The only break I've allowed myself during my year!

Whilst I was away I was kept up to date with what was going on and didn't our team do really well in the inter livery Pancake races! Mike had a great win for the best novelty costume! We now know he likes dressing up! Congratulations to Peter, Carolyn and Mark for representing our Company so well!

The day after I got back I went to the WET10 debate which was a great success. Congratulations to Roger Hewitt and Barry Dennis, as joint Chairmen of the WET10, and the other organisers for the excellent evening.

On 4th March I went to the Firefighters' Massey Shaw banquet. A terrific evening with Murray Craig, Clerk to the Chamberlain's Court, as the speaker. He entertained us with stories of the great and the good he has admitted as Freemen of the City of London.

This was followed the next day by the Hackney Carriage Drivers Spring Court dinner in Vintners Hall.

We had the Modern Livery Companies dinner on Monday hosted by the Lightmongers at Cutlers Hall. Modern livery companies are those that were granted livery from 1926 onwards. The Honourable Company of Master Mariners being the first since the Carmen received their livery in 1848.

Yesterday I was at the Master Mariners Court Luncheon on board HQS Wellington and then at the Plumbers annual lecture and dinner in the evening, celebrating their 650th anniversary and National Plumbing Day.

This evening we have our Company visit to the College of Arms which I'm really looking forward to.

Next Monday Christine and I will be with the Fuellers celebrating the grant of  their Royal Charter by HRH the Earl of Wessex. On the 19th we have the Masters and Prime Wardens banquet in Man sion House hosted by the Lord Mayor with the United Guilds Service on the 20th March. I hope to see a number of you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment